Saturday, January 17, 2009

Losing weight

I wanted to get physically fit since early last year but I never got into it. Instead I put on even more weight. And all my new pants won't fit anymore. Although I am still within safe weight range, the added kilos all went to my belly. It is a matter of reconstructing my physique or losing the weight. I chose to lose the weight.

I went through a diet called the General Motors seven-day diet. Quinito Henson said in his column that it's not just weight loss diet but also a good way to detoxify the body and cleanse the digestive system. Here's the diet.
Day One. Eat only fruits, except bananas. Melon is highly recommended. Don’t hold back. You may consume as many fruits as you want but don’t stuff yourself.
Day Two. Eat only vegetables. There is no limit to what you may take in. For breakfast, you may eat one large boiled potato.
Day Three. Eat any mixture of fruits and vegetables of your choice – any amount, any quantity – but no bananas and no potatoes.
Day Four. Eat eight bananas and drink three glasses of milk. You may take one bowl of vegetable (cabbage, onions) soup.
Day Five. Eat one cup of rice and six whole tomatoes. You may mash the tomatoes and mix with your rice. Also, drink 12 glasses of water to cleanse your system of uric acid you will be producing. For those who are 39 and below, you may consume 10-ounce portions of lean beef (like hamburger).
Day Six. Eat one cup of rice and all the vegetables – cooked or uncooked – you want.
Day Seven. Eat one cup of rice and all the vegetables you want plus drink a glass of fruit juice.
I googled the diet and found more material about it. What's important is you must drink 10 glasses of water a day. You may also have unlimited amount of what they call as Wonder soup, which is basically just cabbage soup.

I started on Saturday, January 10. The first day was easy because I like fruits. I ate a lot of watermelon that by night my belly was bloated more than ever. The all-veggies second day was easy too. The third day was office day. I went along with my colleagues to grillery but I ate only the vegetable portions of the lovely pork sinigang. My office mates were incredulous. The fourth day was a bit harder. The bananas I bought were not yet fully ripe. I must have consumed five year's dose of pectin that day. I also had three glasses of milk which curdled with the bananas, giving me gas. On day five, i cooked the tomatoes and sliced them because I don't think I could bear to eat six raw tomatoes. I love tomatoes -as garnish to salted eggs. I just imagined having futtanesca and I survived the day. Day six and seven were a breeze. I had vegetables and a cup of rice.

I didn't feel weak at anytime during the course. Though I noticed I get tired easily in the afternoon of the first day. But I recovered on the second day and by day three everything was normal. I started to feel lighter. I had slight stomach cramps at nighttime of day four maybe because of the milk and semi-ripe bananas. I felt the lightest on the morning of day five. I think my weight has stabilized by the end of day five. That's the day I started to eat rice again.

Quinito Henson lost ten pounds. I lost around six pounds. Not bad because I didn't have much weight to lose anyway. My waist is back to the size my pants measurement. I feel lighter, I am indeed lighter. From now on I will eat just the carbo my body needs. The next and more enduring challenge is to maintain this weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment